easy upholstered Headboard DIY

chicaflairheadboarddiy

When we were preparing the baby's room we knew we had to include some type of bed in there b/c we would need to use it as an additional guest room in the future. Now, the dilemma was what to get. Here were the options...

  • Get a traditional twin bed
  • Get a daybed 
  • Get a sofa bed

Our first choice was going to be a sofa bed but when we started looking we realized how expensive they were. So, we went on to look for either a daybed or a traditional twin bed with headboard/footboard. And again, boy were they expensive. Well, I think it's because we seem to have expensive taste, one that does not line up with our wallet. :) 

So we kept looking and looking everywhere! I mean, Walmart, Target, Wayfair, Craigslist, Amazon....you name it, we looked it up! And then, as we were clearing our storage room, trying to make room for stuff I came across the VILSHULT IKEA picture we had bought about 7 years or more ago. We were going to either throw it away, give it away or sell it on craigslist. But...that's when the Aha! moment came. I said to Alex, "take this to the baby's room...I'm gong to see if I can turn this into a headboard". He looked at me weird but took it upstairs anyway. 

Here's the picture. 

When I placed it against the mattress/box spring it fit pretty good. Aaahhh....a project had now begun. Now, I needed to get foam, fabric, find out how I was going to attach it and what I was going to use to embellish it. So, here's what I did. 

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED

Since foam is expensive I opted for a much cheaper option giving me the same results. I opted for this foam mattress pad from Walmart. It only cost me $12. Can't beat that!

Since foam is expensive I opted for a much cheaper option giving me the same results. I opted for this foam mattress pad from Walmart. It only cost me $12. Can't beat that!

A staple gun. I got mine from Homedepot. I think it was $15. Get staples long enough to go through the foam/fabric and into the frame.

A staple gun. I got mine from Homedepot. I think it was $15. Get staples long enough to go through the foam/fabric and into the frame.

Sure you can go to a fabric store like Joanns to get it but you'll end up spending a ton of money for a nice thick material. But, why? You can just head to tany other store that sells curtains and get a great piece of fabric for way way cheaper. I got mine from Target for only $25. Only thing you have to make sure is that the curtain is wide/long enough to cover your frame.

Sure you can go to a fabric store like Joanns to get it but you'll end up spending a ton of money for a nice thick material. But, why? You can just head to tany other store that sells curtains and get a great piece of fabric for way way cheaper. I got mine from Target for only $25. Only thing you have to make sure is that the curtain is wide/long enough to cover your frame.

MAKING YOUR HEADBOARD

STEP 1: Okay, began by laying the foam on the floor. Stretch it out as much as you can without reaping it. Make sure the 'ripples' are facing up.

SAM_0608.jpg

STEP 2: Lay the wall picture on top of the foam.

STEP 3: Began to staple the foam to the picture. I started on the longer edges first and started in the middle, then I moved to the short edges. When you get to the corners, cut off some of the foam so it's not too thick, otherwise, your staples won't be able to get all the way to the board.

STEP 4: Lay your curtain on the floor. Make sure to iron it if its too wrinkled. You'll regret it later if you don't. I just laid mine on the carpet and ironed away. 

SAM_0616.jpg

STEP 5: Lay the stapled foam picture on top of the curtain (foam face down). Cut off any excess fabric you don't want. I ended up leaving some of of the extra fabric just in case I wanted to use it in the future. And since it won't be seen, it didn't matter what it looked like. :)

STEP 6: Start to staple the fabric to the board. I followed the same technique I did with the foam. Start with one of the longer edges in the middle. Once that's done, move to the other long edge but make sure to pull the fabric as tight as you can. Then, move to the short edges, again, pulling as tight as you can. Leave the corners to the end. Once you're done, this is what you end up with.

I didn't attach our headboard to the bed frame. The finished headboard was tall enough to just lay it on the floor which meant I didn't even have to hang it. I did try to see how it would look if I would hang it but it would have been way too tall for my taste. I will be attaching the top of the headboard to the wall (just so it won't move) with 3 inch command strips

And here's what it looks like so far...

I still want to finish it with either ribbon (maybe a greek design frame), nail heads, or buttons to make it tufted. So we'll see what I end up doing. Right now, it's a toss. Stay tuned as I showcase it in the final baby room reno reveal. 

Till next time!