I became a brussels sprouts lover just recently. It all started when I tried them roasted....oh yum. I think they taste the best roasted. But at the beginning of the year the hubby and I were doing a fast and could only eat veggies and fruits. So, I opened the fridge and wonder what I could do with those green little things. Well, to pinterest I went and found that I could make a slaw. I ended up combining three different recipes and both the hubs and I LOVED it!
So here it is. Maybe you'll become a new lover of brussels sprouts too! :)
For the slaw
- 1 lb raw brussels sprouts, finely shredded by hand or in a food processor
- 2 medium apples
- 2 green onions/spring onions
- 1/4 cup of roasted sunflower seeds
- Trader Joe's orange flavored cranberries to taste (you can also use Ocean Spray's Pomegranate Flavored Cranberries)
For the dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey or agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tsp sesame oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 Tsp orange zest from one orange (optional)
- Juice from half an orange
Shred your brussels sprouts (I usually slice mine thin but this this last time I used the Ninja to shred them and boy, it brought down the chopping time to a minute). So whichever is good. Discard of apple core and chop apples. Cut green onions. I also chop my cranberries so they are not too big but you can skip this step if you prefer them bigger. Just add as you go and to your taste and liking.
Combine brussels sprouts, apples, cranberries, green onions and sunflower seeds in a bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the dressing. I usually double the recipe b/c sometimes it feels as if it needs a little more.
Add dressing to slaw and mix.
Serve and enjoy!
This salad is even good the day after so make sure to save some for tomorrow's lunch!